Sivananda Yoga

The practice we participated on March 8th in class was called Sivananda Yoga.  The instructor who taught our class was very patient with us, this practice was one I was not familiar with but I enjoyed the practice a lot. Sivananda yoga is a non-proprietary form of hatha yoga in which the training focuses on preserving the health and wellness of the practitioner which is why we took breaks, I liked the breaks we got to take during the practice because it gave everyone a chance to breathe and reconnect with themselves before moving on to the next pose or poses we did.  At the end of practice i felt very relaxed, I liked the way the teacher taught this type of yoga and explained to us before starting the history of Swami Sivananda and why he began to do this practice and when.  I wasn't used to setting our mats up the way we did and doing the practice while being directly in front of someone with them looking in my direction the entire time, it was a little strange at first but I realized it helped me during the practice if i was lost or did not know what pose we were going into next.  I believe that doing the breathing exercises before starting the practice helped me become more connected to the practice before and relaxed me before starting to get into the poses. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Yoga Week 3

Iyengar Yoga